"You are here to be at home with the Lord."
Our many past parishioners made sacrifices to provide these words that greet all of us as we enter our beautiful church.
Since its humble beginnings in the year 1929, the Parish of The Holy Name of Jesus has served the needs of people in a few New Rochelle and its east end community. From the inaugural mass our parish celebrated at the Salesian High School chapel over seventy-five years ago, to Mass and Sacraments in our present church, our parish family has always gathered in a spirit of unity. We the friends and neighbors, we are a congregation of faith. We are also a family that supports and nurtures each other in the love of Christ and the Gospels. Today we have grown to a parish of more then 1,000 families.
Through these past seventy-seven years, our parish has experienced tremendous growth. A new, larger church was built in 1962, along with the school in 1953. Thanks to the leadership of Fr. Biglin, our parish facilities have been lovingly renovated. Our school has also seen several improvements.
We have been blessed with the dedicated leadership of our former pastors, beginning with our founder Msgr. James Halligan and continuing with Msgr. Donnelly, Msgr. Garlin, and Fr. O'Sullivan. We have been provided for by the love and foresight of parishioners who have gone before us.